In 2012 Dansk Polyglas A/S became part of the project “Substitutions of materials Offshore”. The purpose of the project was to find out, how new and innovative materials can be used by offshore industry, because:
- There are large quantities of steel in different offshore constructions
- Rising steel prices
- Steel is a heavy material
- Steel corrodes in contact with the sea waters
Therefore, selected companies and organizations from the plastics industry, including Dansk Polyglas A/S, were invited to participate in the project in order to develop alternative materials for offshore industry.
Also one of the purpose of the project was, that the offshore industry would be able to save money, effort and reduce the energy consumption of the individual offshore installation by replacing the steel with composite materials, because composite materials have following advantages:
- Low density
- High strength
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Extended maintenance frequency
- Low weight
- Easy installation (because of low weight)
- Paintings are added into the materials during the manufacturing process
- Elements can be glued or attached with bolts
- Fatigue Resistance
- Low thermal conductivity
Dansk Polyglas A/S role in the project was to develop a composite stair for offshore industry together with following partners: Mærsk Olie & Gas A/S, DAVINCI Development A/S, Development Group, ICOM Composites A/S and Plastic Center Denmark.
The composite stair is made of the fiberglass reinforced phenolic with excellent fire retardant properties and fibreglass reinforced fire retardant isopolyester.All the stair steps are installed with fail-safe device, consisting of acid proof stainless bolts and massive fiberglass dowels. In this way the stair steps are secured, if one of the materials will be damaged.
The stair has following specifications:
- Length: 6 m
- Slope: 45 degrees
- Height: 4 m
- 19 steps with non-slip surface
- Weight: 439 kg.
Subsequently has Danish Technological Institute tested the stair and concluded:
- The stair is very strong and rigid
- Compared of maximum deflection requirements for stringers, steps, handrails, deflects less
- Excellent non-slip surface – highest score (R13) on DIN 51130-test
Would you like to hear more about the advantages of this stair, you are always welcome to contact us.